Jamison High School logo

Jamison High School

Jamison High School

Achieve Through Cooperation

Telephone02 4731 6150


School counselling service

School counselling staff are members of the school learning and support team.

A teacher may recommend the service by referring a student to the school’s learning and support team. As a parent or carer, you may refer your child directly to the school counselling service. Students can also self-refer to the service.

The role of the School Counsellor

The role of a school counsellor includes:

  • Assessing students’ needs using psychological and educational tests, rating scales and observation, and reporting the results to parents and teachers.
  • Counselling students individually and in groups in a range of educational and mental health areas and participating in the work of school student welfare and learning support committees.
  • Providing advice to review committees concerning the education of students with special needs.
  • Referring students or their families to other appropriate health and/or welfare agencies as required.
  • Working with parents focusing on the welfare needs of their children.
  • Responding, as part of a team, to calls from schools experiencing major critical incidents.
  • Reporting and making recommendations when students have received a long suspension from school.

For more information please visit the following pages from the NSW Department of Education: